“Welcome to Merritt and the beautiful Nicola Valley. We would like to extend our warmest welcome to everyone coming in for the festival. It is a pleasure to have Motion Notion in Merritt for the first of hopefully many years to come! We hope you explore our community during your visit and have a great time at Motion Notion 2018!”
– From Mayor Neil Menard and City of Merritt Members of Council
WELCOME TO MERRITT BC
Below you will find some helpful links as to where you can rest your head in Merritt, grab a bite to eat and discover the hidden gems of our shopping district.
Merritt is a place to relax and enjoy “A Lake a Day as Long as You Stay”. A hub of art and culture, we encourage you to visit the downtown murals to see past musical performers. The convenience of the town of Merritt being so close to the festival grounds offers visitors everything they need to enjoy a great time in the Nicola Valley.
Looking for a place to eat? We got you covered with over 30 restaurants in Merritt to help feed the hunger. Check out the list below to see all the great places to grab a bit.
REST YOUR HEAD
Looking for offsite accommodations? There are many options ranging from new hotels to camping in the area. Check out the links below for all your accommodation options.
- List of camping sites in Merritt and the Nicola Valley through Recreation Sites and Trails BC, under the Merritt heading.
- Also check out Destination BC’s top 5 camping in Merritt article
You might want to take home a souvenir to remind you of the festival. You never know what gems you might find as well when you are souvenir hunting. Take a stroll through the variety of retail stores in Merritt and visit the Merritt Visitor Centre at the Baillie Housein downtown Merritt.
Forgot to grab the snacks for camping? No worries pick them up when you arrive. Grocery Stores in Merritt include:
- Save On Foods
- Extra Foods
- A variety of convenience stores throughout Merritt
EXPLORE THE TOWN OF MERRITT
Looking for recommendations of what to do in Merritt? Below are our top 3 suggestions of things to do outside of the festival when you are in Merritt.
- Explore the City of Merritt
Visit the City of Merritt and learn why Motion Notion relocated to Merritt,
- Visit the Merritt Visitor Centre at the Baillie House (2202 Voght Street) – pick up information on Merritt and a walking tour brochure
- Venture throughout downtown Merritt to see the murals and handprint exhibits. (The murals appreciate selfies and to be tagging online with #ExploreMerritt)
- Grab a bit to eat and a beverage at a local restaurant. Depending on your level of hunger and what you are craving will determine where you want to go.
- Take a stroll throughout downtown Merritt and stop in at a local store to pick up a souvenir or two for the way home.
- a. Take a photo op at the Wind Onion at Lions Memorial Park (2408 Voght St)
- Ride out to Quilchena
Learn the local history and discover the road less traveled.
- Drive out to the Quilchena Hotel
- Stop in at the Nicola Ranch. Stop by the gift shop and take a photo op next to the Murray Church (oldest building in the Nicola Valley, built in 1876).
- Visit the Quilchena Hotel and gift store.
- If you are wanting an even longer drive, continue on to Douglas Lake Ranch (45 min drive, 85 km east from Merritt, along Douglas Lake Rd.)
- Another option is to rent a bike and ride out to Quilchena Hotel (23 km)
- Golfing, hiking up to the Norgaard Viewpoint (above Norgaard Ready Mix), Mt. biking, fishing (forgot to bring your rod, don’t worry you can borrow ours), or swimming at Monck Provincial Park are just a few ways to stretch your legs.
- Get Outdoors
If outdoor activities are more your style, this might be for you.
For other day trip suggestions visit Tourism Merritt Recommended Day Trips.
Or ask us for where you can rent bikes, got for a horse ride or see a 20 ft. tall Wind Onion. We will give you the inside scoop!
Wondering what is happening in town during the Motion Notion weekend? No worries we got you covered with Merritt’s Community Calendar. The calendar showcases events throughout Merritt and the Nicola Valley. We like to think of it as the best way to meet the locals!
We encourage you to visit Merritt before the festival starts or leave a day after the festival to explore the Nicola Valley.
Connect with us online and tag us at #ExploreMerritt to share your Merritt and Nicola Valley adventures during Motion Notion!
We are thrilled to have you join us for Motion Notion 2018 and bring the MoNo family together in Merritt BC.